Friday, February 22

point and check

today my sweater the sweater smells of camp fires and longs nights on porches with memebers of staff and their roommates and matty and big angry brothers of staff who are unimpressed with the levels of noises at four in the morning when they have to work at six. but i don't mind, because it and me gives it character.

wednesday i was a bit bummed and i had nothing to do other than walk to work. my walk to work is a quiet twelve and a half or thirteen minute walk, depending on lights and determination, from my house. i bob my head from side to side, counting the steps and looking at the series of clocks along the way providing check points for my journy. none of them say the correct time, nor do they keep the same time, nor am i sure that all of them are clocks; most importantly, though, is that very rarely are any of them people with which i can chat. thus, a quiet walk.

i was bummed because i was bummed and i was quiet because the clocks weren't talking. but today the ones that weren't clocks were people and they did talk. i ran into milo, whom you haven't met but may hear about him again; and i ran into my bc friend who gave me a hug and a promise of a story that gave here licence to be loud in the plaza we were standing in involving rips and embearassment and hours and halfs that elapsed before strangers told her of it;
and i ran into mitch and his partner (a girl) who were on their way back from the grocery store. i spoke at length with each of them and never once said i had to walk away and get to work, except to ang who invited me along with her roommate to salsa lessons, and to milo who was out with fifteen of his closest friends, and to mitch who had walked across the road with me but not his partner because traffic was being traffic and we were paying less attention.

my clocks that where people checked my points and adjusted my direction and while i didn't know the time i now knew where i was going. at work i was no longer bummed and felt less like a slug and more like a feather.

[you haven't met mitch either but you might hear more of him later too. he started as the new ahmed last week because the old ahmed left for dublin. mitch and his partner are kiwi's.]

No comments: