Monday, March 24

i am ...

i am seven and grandpa has taken me to a weekend hockey tournament. he has gone to the bathroom in the diner we are at, leaving me at the table to wait for the food.
i don't want anyone else to eat our food on us so you keep watch, he says. i
smile back.
the food arrives while he is away, but i am hungry so i eat.

growing up on the farm meant large, fast meals but fast in that we consumed all of it faster than the food could be passed around the table.
keep passing food around until everyone has some on their plate, dad would
say.
a statement which we would immediately ignore. we wouldn't ignore it on purpose, it was only because the food we were spooning onto our plate was more interesting than listening to something we'd heard everyday at every meal. we were more interested in eating, which, had it been explained to mom in that way, might have made it easier for dad to get us to pass food around first. we were really complementing mom, not ignoring dad.

grandpa returns from the bathroom and finds the table occupied by empty plates and a grandson. the server arrives at the same time with the bill. she is about twenty, brown hair in a ponytail and chews gum. the whole time i am sitting quietly watching them both.
did the food already come to the table?
yes
where's my burger then
he ate it
grandpa looks down at me. i look up at him, smiling and he starts laughing.
well, better order me another one then

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont apologize for that man. that's a great story. I remember one day I spent the day with my grandpa and we went to go rent angels in the outfield and we kept looking around for it everywhere.. this was in about 1997 i'd say, and the movie came out in 94. and we couldnt find it the comedy section or the family section and he kept saying 'daniel why dont we try the new releases' and i was like 'NO, it's not a new release grandpa' with all the confident authority of the 12 year old daniel grant. and then as I kept looking in frustration, he sidled over the new releases, immediately found it and looked at me with a smile. then we got the front and he was told that he had to sign up for a blockbuster card and that he needed two pieces of ID. to which he looked the girl behind the counter up and down, set the movie down and walked out the door, motioning me to follow. confused, I asked him why he didnt just get one. and he pointed to videoflicks across the street. 'no cards means less clutter. it also makes it easier for you get away with it'

I still never figured out what 'it' was exactly but I think he meant anything in general.

Grandpa's are great.