Friday, April 18

hitch'n another ride

part one
"This will happen from time to time where you're forced to keep hitching and hope for the best"

So we hoped and we hoped and were given a german couple about half an hour later. They liked us so much they dropped us 15km past the spot they were going to stop at; not just their turn off, but thier bed and breakfast. He gave us his email and offered a couch for the both of us for Oktoberfest!

"just make sure to tell all your Canadian friends that Germans aren't all that bad"

we waited awhile at Lago De Garda and had a beer and discussed life and other things.

lago de garda

We got another ride from another guy, but I mostly stared out the window. We would be arriving in Garda shortly and from there it was just a short walk to our host for the evening. My first day hitching had been exciting and fantastic and addicting. I didn't want to stop, I wanted to put my thumb out again and again and meet more and more people. The sorts of people who stop and pick you up are the sorts of people I want to meet. They have stories to tell and are genuine and kind and considerate and understand what it's like to hitch. But even though it was exciting and wonderful it was also exhausting. The ware that came from a day spent on my feet, waiting patiently, thinking everytime I said goodbye and thank-you to a ride that it will be the last ride we saw that day was showing. we also needed to eat.

a polite good-bye, a thank-you and a short walk later we arrived on Guiseppe's doorstep and juggled until he got home from work. His parents watched from what they thought was an unseen window, offered us water and cookies and did what they do in the garden and kitchen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

--b said...

that's flattering, but you're spam and not really something that is anything of interest. to anyone.

thanks for the hug though.

Anonymous said...

who says congratulations when they find someone interesting. if you're going to be spam at least make sense. come on now.

--b said...

right again dan. and i thought perhaps you might find this interesting. google found 577,000 hits in .25 seconds. imagine what they would have found if the took their time.

Anonymous said...

egads. do you think google ever checks its work? I bet it was a poor student. it probably always has a remainder.

Hermano Rojo said...

Ah yes. Good times and adventures!

Life in Canada is great, but I do miss the constant adventure that was life on the toad in Europe. (Sometimes I miss life on the road too.)

--b said...

it's waiting for you