Monday, April 28

Il 141 Aprire

In Napoli my host was a Med student, in his fifth year of how ever many he needs to do. In september he's going to Istanbul to study and learn Turkish; not because he needs to know how to be a doctor that speaks Turkish, in fact the classes are all in english anyways, but simply because he wants to speak Turkish. I've met a fair few people who have similar goals.

Like my host in Roma and how he was a tour guide simply because he wanted a job that had him speaking english. And his roommate, an american guy, who went to Italy nine months ago to visit and found a job teaching english; he stayed because he wanted to learn italian.

"I've already learned french, this was the next logical step" he said to me as we sat one night watching The Matrix in Italian.

There's my two roomates in Cork who came simply to learn english, that french guy who asked me one night why I would work and live in Ireland. "you speak english though" he said to which i had no reply.

After I've thought about it a bit I suppose my reasons for Ireland are simply because I wanted my animal house life to never end. Ireland is notorious for having a drunken environment and I wanted to have a taste of that fun.

Don't get me wrong. If I did it all again it would have been the same, but I know now that experiencing a countries culture is much more rewarding than the animal house life.

Because really, am I ever going to see a hilarious screen play come across my desk with an offer to star as my self in the motion picture?

... well Dan, will I?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dude, I didnt even see this when you posted it, I must have just missed it somehow.

the thing is, I've actually been working on a screenplay type deal about the 141 hahaha. its not really in screenplay format yet but its definetly something I've thought a lot about. we had some pretty ridiculous stuff go on. or like... even if it didnt happen, the potential for ridiculousness was there. it could almost be a tv show. regardless, its definetly an idea ive thought about and written up a few ideas for. i'll have to bounce a few off you when i come over to the motherland.

in regards to that as well, my aunt suggested that I meet you guys in Galway because I've got some friends there and its apparently a really cool town? it also would shorten my trip from Dublin to Donegal a significant amount. but whatever you guys think is best, you're living over there. and in regards to THAT, how much does stuff cost? (stuff = beer)

--b said...

stuff costs a lot. i'll talk with matty about galway, but as for me and my work schedule (work = nothing and schedule = joke) i think i can free something up.

give me a date and i'll meet you at the kings head.

bring your screen play.

Anonymous said...

I was talking to Matty today and I'm working out a rough trip schedule right now but it looks like I'll be seeing you guys on the backend of the trip, from like the fourth or fifth of june until I leave on the ninth. whether that's in galway or cork remains to be seen but im up for either, whatever you guys are feeling.