Sunday, November 25

my stupid mouth

has got me into trouble again. at least it did, or rather threatened to.

i know french. that is to say i know enough french to know that i don't know enough french to say that i know french. but i know french.

a math teacher i had in high school once said that he knew enough piano to know that he wasn't very good at it. that applies to my knowledge of french (if someone want to tell mr. ort that he was featured here you are more than welcome to).

i was in a shop in france and i was looking at a hat. a ball cap, a nice one ... but that is rather relative because i have a lust for all ball caps. this one had a patch on it that i couldn't make out. so, being the brilliant man that i am i turned to the shop keeper and said to her
esc scuuz eh moi, kesk keu say?
and i straightened my back and smiled a big grin and felt good about myself. for about two seconds. because after my sense of accomplishment passed i realized that i wouldn't have a sweet clue what it was she said to me explaining what it was the patch meant.

and i didn't. so i bought a different hat.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just laughed so hard.

Ms. Duke said...

tres bien mon amie

(sn)

Anonymous said...

that other comment was from me.
mands

Anonymous said...

i can definitely picture you at that moment with a big "brad grin" on your face, too funny

tommy

--b said...

i'll have to learn more french before i go back


[.... if you'd like, instead of using the anonymous posting option, choose the other option. you can put your name ... and website if you'd like ... and then it won't come up as "ananon".]

Anonymous said...

Good for you for trying Brad - what else would I say?

Anonymous said...

I'm also proud of you. almost as proud as mom is. : )

Hermano Rojo said...

I was in the library (the same library I'm in now) the other day and some kid asked me something about why my clothes were dirty. I meant to say I had others that weren't but actually told him my other clothes were unsalted.

I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

you should have bought the hat anyways. or you should go back, write it down and figure it out. I bet it says something rad like hipapotomus anonymous.

--b said...

i would imagine it said this guy can't speak french