Thursday, November 4

online math post

the other day in my classroom math class i was presenting my group's solution. we had drawn a picture and written a sentence.

well, i had re-drawn the picture that several of us had come up with and then re-written the ideas down that one other group member had come up with.

when i hung it up to present i realized that the sentence i had written couldn't be called a sentence because it was missing the essential bits.

"that isn't a complete sentence" i said to myself and the class as i faced the board "but that doesn't matter because this is a math class, not an English class"

it was out before i could bite my tongue. i turned slowly and saw the professor grimacing.

i back peddled as quick as i could, but it didn't make a difference, the damage was done.

I don't know why I said it, I don't think that. I understand that language arts should be incorporated into all lessons, just as the lines between other subjects should ideally be blurred, dissolved if possible.

I blamed it on my associate and what she had told the class time and time again during my placement. That isn't at all fair to her, she wasn't presenting there with me, standing in front of my peers defending my ignorance.

Have any of you been told that there's a difference between math or language arts or visual arts or gym or spelling or ____?

2 comments:

Bobbi Jaye said...

never. what were you thinking? letters and numbers? always. Algebra. Grade 11.
;)

Hermano Rojo said...

Once in Highschool, my friend Barry had to write the answer to one of our homework questions on the board along with several other volunteers. He finished and then left to use the washroom. In the confusion I went up to the board, changed his answer and then signed his name to the bottom and drew a big bunch of berries next to it.

I don't know why I did it, but it still makes me laugh remembering the teacher's confusion when he tried to figure out how Barry had arrived at his answer.

This is unrelated to the question you asked, but I still think it's an anecdote worth sharing.