Saturday, December 15

making a spectacle

i recently broke my glasses.

i have had the same pair of glasses for three years now, or, more specifically appropriately, the same style. they haven't been the same glasses because the frames are total crap, made of cheep plastic and will not stand up to regular wear and tear or feet.

they are warrantied as long as they weren't run over by a car or stepped on. in the nine times they have been broken, they have never been run over by a car (or a foot, as far as the shop knows).

the ninth break somewhat agitated me, but we'll get to that in a moment.

one - i took off my sweater and they came off with it. i then stepped on the sweater.
two - i had them on the top of my head which i threw back in a fit of laughter. in that same fit of laughter i took a step back.
three - at work they fell to the ground and lost them. they found a coworkers boot.
for, fifth, 6, seaven, ate - i stepped on them.

the ninth somewhat agitated me, and we'll get to that in a .. now.


Cork, Ireland. Dec 11th, 8:00 pm.

i was at work discussing my tendency to prop my glasses on my head.
i have them up there because i am near sighted.
i have them up there because when i am close to someone/thing i can see them/it without glasses.
i have them up there because they generate conversation.

ruth works in a spectacle shop called Crowleys where they make glasses of themselves, not spectacles. she says that people my age don't do what i do until they get beyond my age. i asked if she meant abandon responsibility and she furrowed her brow in confusion. i smiled to tell her that i knew what she meant.

then the pen behind my ear fell to the ground. at least, that is what i thought until i realized a) i hadn't heard it hit the ground and b) i never had one there to begin with. at the second realization my glasses slid from my face and a third came to mind: i had recently broken my glasses.

No comments: