Sunday, December 16

in a fix

not having my glasses created a some difficulties.

for people who don't wear glasses life changed very little. there's a person who works with them who has, for some unknown reason, decided to change his appearance. perhaps he got a hair cut or removed a piercing or not worn his pen to work today.

for me everyone has come to work as a darkish blurry area.

ruth told me that i should bring the spectacles into her office and have them fixed. i say to myself no they are under warranty and i will fly them back to canada. then i say to my thought that that is silly because i don't know which of the blurry areas around me is a post office and i would be better off getting a new pair getting them fixed buying some glue.

everyone around me has taken to letting me know how much better i look in contacts. i thank them politely and make a mental note to remove them from my christmas card list. i make a second mental note to write a christmas card list to later remove them from.

three days go by and more and more people are asking about my glasses. i have never spoken to most of these people before, why on earth do they feel as though they need to comment about my glasses? i have a strange feeling that once i have my glasses glued back together we will have exhausted our mutual interests and have nothing more to say to each other than thanks, yes and do you want a pint.

buying the glue was a whole other adventure. not so much getting it, that was straight forward, but i learned a lesson about storage.

glue comes from a store. it comes in a tube that needs, for some unknown reason, to be assembled. the tube is assembled, applied to the glasses and stored safely in a matter of minutes. as the glasses dry i watch a movie from the couch read a book held in my hand.

when my glasses are dry i proudly put them on, quite glad that it only took me a few euro and a matter of minutes to fix them rather than the six to eight weeks allowed for delivery.

when my glasses dry i realize that my pocket has also dried, and in it the tube of glue that was improperly disassembled and stored. i sit there wondering this wasn't a written warning until i realize it is described clearly in a series of pictures on the packaging i shredded while getting at the glue.

i suppose you have learned a lesson in storage.

5 comments:

Ms. Duke said...

to go against the masses i love your glasses...

just as much as the day i helped you pick them out...

good luck

Anonymous said...

wow

I wish someone would say that about my glasses !
especially someone as nice as Shannon !
ugl

--b said...

thank you very much to both of you. i do like these glasses too, and that's why, despite the sever structural flaws, i've kept going back to them.

grant, even though i didn't pick them out i do like your glasses too.

--b

Anonymous said...

gosh

best smile I've had in a very long time.
thanks Brad
you've earned a Christmas present , if I need attention , I just put black tape on the nose piece & wait , it's like a lure !
here fishy ..fishy or go to a dance with your arm in a sling.
ugl

Anonymous said...

Just before i read this blog, I was straighten my hair (im done school but I have to stay here until Thrusday... i have homework to do- so i am finding other things that need to get done) I put my glasses down- and then lost them.... now for those who don't know me- this is not going to be funny. For those who do- know that i can't see a thing without my eyes... the bluryness that brad talks about.... is a cloud of colors that doesn't match up for me. Imagin that! its that crazy!

life without your eyes... an interesting excursion in (and of) itself

have fun bbb