Tuesday, January 30

Dauchau- Concentration camp

Paul and I went to Dauchau, the concentration camp in Munich. It was very emotional. When we first got there, they gave us a audio guide to show us around the camp and they were explaining the different buildings, different memories of some of the prisoners and what the prisoners had to do while in specific spots around the camp. For example, the entrance to the camp is the same one the prisoners used when they were being admitted into the camp. It was a very overwhelming feeling walking through the gate and to realize that you were walking in in safety but that there were so many others who were terrified for their lives while walking through those same gates.

We walked around a bit, went through the museum and saw a movie on the concentration camp. It was a working camp not a gas chamber camp so we didnt see any gas chambers or anything like that but there were a lot of footage of bodies being deposited. It was a lot to handle. I found it very interesting and considering it was a huge part of our history, I thought it would be good to go. I'm not sure if I would recommend others to go there or not. There were quite a few kids there walking around with their parents and I know I wouldnt take my kids there but its good for others to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dachau concentration camp was such a surreal experience. I think it's really effective the way they have the tour set up, with the video and stuff, showing you footage of what it was like during the war, and then you walk out into the camp and see everything in person that you just watched on the video. I just bawled the whole day, it was so overwhelming.

I'm glad I got to see it, even though it was a really difficult day. Being a history major and all, it was really important for me to see stuff like that while I was in Germany.