Thursday, January 25

Paul's visit-South of France (Marseilles)

So we arrived at Marseilles pretty early in the morning. The night before, when we were still in Lyon, we were talking to this American who was in Marseilles the day before with her friend who had her purse stolen right out of her arm at the train station. Of course, this is the only thing I can think about when we arrive at the station the next day. I was holding onto my purse so tight my knuckles were turning white. While we were at the train station, we thought that because it was so close to Christmas that we should book our trains from Marseilles to Lourdes and then from Lourdes to Paris that day because the trains are already busy on a regular day and around Christmas it might be all full if we were try to book later. So, we did. Now, my mind could rest because I knew we were getting back to Paris for Christmas.

The weather in Marseilles was really nice although Paul and I were both expecting it to be warmer, I think. At least the sun was shinning which was a nice change. We got out of the train station (which wasnt really a nice area-it smelt like urine.) and went to the tourism office to get a map and to find out what we can do in one day. The lady was super helpful. She told us where to stay/what to see/how to get there. We decided to check into our hostel and then we went to a huge church up on a hill. It was gorgeous. The bus we took was on an incline the whole time because this hill (more of a mountain) was massive. You should check out my pictures of the view from the church on my photo page www.photos.yahoo.com/mandylynnmurray

From the church you could see the bay, the mountains and the city. It was gorgeous. I hadnt seen a mountain since I was in Jasper in Grade 9 so I was super excited.
After the church, we went to a Christmas market. It was a really cute market selling the coolest little knick knacks and Christmas things. We went down by the water to grab a coffee (I had a hot chocolate) and both of us couldnt get over how expensive Paris actually was. Paris is seriously twice the price of Marseilles. I appreciated getting a break on my bank account for the day.

We then went on a boat tour around Marseilles. It was gorgeous and pretty cold. We wanted to get off and stay on one of the islands and then wait for the next boat to come pick us up but both of us were afraid that we would miss the other boat (which was the last one for the day) and we would be stuck on the island. So, needless to say, we didnt get off the boat. After the boat ride, we went out for a drink and window shopped and just walked around Marseilles and then went back to the hostel.

We had to catch the train to Lourdes at 6am so we went to bed pretty early.

We got up the next day, checked out, got on the trains and didnt speak to each other for another 4 hours until we got to Lourdes. It was great.

No comments: