Monday, February 19

Rouen

I went to Rouen last Monday just for the day. I went by myself. It was nice to get out of Paris. I think that no matter what city you're in, sometimes you need a change. So, I decided that particular day was as good as any to go to Rouen. I took the train which took about an hour to get there. Rouen is the place where Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake. and since i've done a few essays/projects of her, I thought it would be really cool. So, I got off the train and went to the "accueil" which is the information booth. I asked for a map (une carte) and the lady (who acted like it was a huge inconvienence for her to actually answer me) told me they didnt have any. Gee, thanks lady.

So, I went out and started exploring. As soon as I stepped out of the train station, it started to rain. big surprise. Right then, I was not happy I was in Rouen. So far, I had been fined, the info desk was of no help and it was raining. So, I started walking down the street and saw a sign for a tourist office. Excellent. Information. There, they gave me a map and advised me of some places to visit. They told me that the huge cathedrale that is in Rouen (one that Monet painted quite a few times..) was going to be open at 2pm (it was 11am) I thanked them for being helpful and went on my way. I was seriously the only tourist in Rouen that day. I dont know why they had three nicely dressed ladies working in the tourist office because I was clearly the only etrangere in the city.

The first place I went to was where Joan of Arc was burnt and they have a huge cross there, as well as a little chapel and a museum. So, I toured all of these things. I was the first person that day in the museum (the man hadnt even turned on the lights yet) and it was sort of dungeon-y in there so I left as soon as I could.

I went to the river (which is pretty much identical to the one in Paris except that Paris' is nicer. I sat there and ate my packed lunch. (oh, its still raining/misting by the way) and then I decided to tour some more. I walked around the little streets, looked at the buildings, the people, the shops.

At 2pm, I was standing outside of the cathedrale starring at a note that said that the cathedrale wasnt opening today because of the prefecture, which is like a government office or something. I went into the tourist office and advised them that the cathedrale wasnt open and she said (as if it made so much sense) that it was because it was too windy today and she went back to work. this seems to happen quite often. I was left standing there dumb-founded trying to decide if she had said wind or maybe something else that would actually make sense. I ran the whole convo through my mind again and yes, she definitely said wind. I left the office actually laughing. only in france.

So, since there was nothing left for me to do in rouen except go up the tower that Joan of Arc stayed in until she died, I decided that I would catch an earlier train home. (the tower was super cool. Joan of Arc only had little peep wholes that she could see out of, otherwise the tower was completely dark)

I caught an earlier train home and had dinner at the girls place and went out to the bar.

a bientot,

No comments: