Monday, February 5

train ride

Paul and I took an overnight train from Munchen to Paris. We got to the train station WAY before our train was going to leave so that we wouldn't miss it. We got on the train and found our compartment. I had been told that these compartments were small but that is a huge misunderestimation. The rooms are SO small. They are about the size of a small compact vehicle. and they sleep 6 people. There are 2 bunk beds with three beds each. and basically no room between the two sets of beds. oh, and there are 6 people who all arrive basically at the same time who want to get their stuff organized so that they can go to sleep. oh, and there's two men who snore all night and dont allow anyone else to get any sleep. Our train left at 10pm but obviously, I wasnt ready to sleep yet. there isnt anything else you could really do except sleep because you didnt have an actual seat. You had to lie in your bed. Paul was too big for the bed so you can imagine how small these beds where. Paul isnt really that tall. I dont know how the men slept in the beds. but they did, because they snored the whole night. I hardly slept because of the snoring but when I finally got to sleep, I had a great sleep. and it sure beat taking the bus.

We arrived back in Paris at about 6:30am and it was still dark out. We got on the metro and came back to my place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, those overnight trains SUCK. But you know what sucks more? Getting woke up in the middle of the night by the German police barging into that tiny room and shouting in German to see your passports. It was so scary!! It's really hot in those teeny rooms, too. And when we went, I kept waking up and opening the window, because as soon as I fell back to sleep someone would close it. GAH.

Unknown said...

i wonder if there is a bigger train i could take when i go over there?