Friday, July 4

the bus to Cork

I bought a student ticket to Cork. Even though I am not a student anymore, I managed to convince the guy working the ticket office that I was one and saved myself 4 euro. What a steal. I walked over to the spot where the bus was leaving for Cork and there was a bus there, door open but no bus driver. I asked a guy standing outside if this was the bus to Cork and he said it was. So, I got on the bus but no one was on it. I decided that I was pretty early (by a half hour) and that I would just wait until other people started to get on the bus. After a while, I noticed a line (a queue is what it is called here) forming outside of the bus. I decided that I couldn’t get off the bus now because then everyone would see me get off the bus and would know that I did not understand proper bus-getting-on etiquette. So, I stayed on the bus. After a while, a bus driver came on, noticed me there and I said that I was already on the bus. He then proceeded to ask me if I was going to Limerick, and I said no. He said that the bus I was on was going to Limerick and suggested every so nicely that I should get off the bus because the bus going to Cork was going to pull up in a couple of minutes. I was a little embarrassed.
I got off the bus and of course, there was an even bigger queue who all got to watch me get off and then watch the bus pull away. They all knew that I didn’t understand proper bus-getting-on etiquette.

Ridiculous.

No comments: