Tuesday, June 17

the good, the bad and the expensive

i am in stockholm, sweden and i've been here for three days. this is the last day of my sweden visit and i fly to Dublin this evening. I am likely working again tomorrow night which is good because they pay me.

it is also good because sweden is so damn expensive.

just yesterday i was leaving the hostel to meet up with some friends of a friend. I went to pick up a pack of gum because the onions i had microwaved were lingering. not only is that embarrassing and uncomfortable when in a group, it was a terrible reminder of how little research i did into the hostel i was staying at. A bitter taste that shouted:

hey, why didn't you check if they had a stove top on site before you went out and bought pasta, chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, rosemary and olive oil?

I ignored myself and went about my way. Shops are all over the place and i went into the first one and waited in line. It was boring and at that moment I wanted so much more to be bored while on the subway to meet the friends of a friend. But here i was bored in line with a bad taste in my mouth not wanting to ease my boredom with conversation because that would be embarrassing and uncomfortable for all.

blah blah blah said the attendant. It will be helpful to know that I looked Swedish
I handed him the Extra pack I had plucked from the front display. I smiled.
blah blah he said again and I handed him 20 krons and he handed me my change.
"Tack" said I, to maintain the charade. Thanks.

As I walked out the door to search for the nearest subway entrance I opened my gum and popped a piece in my mouth. I noticed two things: he had only given my 5 krons back and I had not bought gum. Apparently Extra also makes a black liquorish candy and puts it in the same packet.

I enjoy black liquorish, but not when I was expecting gum. The bad taste prevailed and I had spent too much to get it.

every trip has it's low points. one low point over nine months isn't so bad.

No comments: