Tuesday, June 10

my age

I am going to tell you a story that is both embarrasing and funny. The story is too god not to tell even though I will be the one and only person who will be embarrased.

The other day, Jenn and I were getting our lunch in the cafeteria, as we had done every day before then and continued to do until we both stopped working there.

In the caf, Jenn is in their computer system but I am not. I think its because I arrived a bit later and no one bothered to put me into the system. It doesnt really matter though because our meals are free but I guess they do it just to keep track of how much we eat. Normally, they check what Jenn gets and put it in the system but they dont bother checking to see what I get to eat because they cant be bothered to put me into the system. they know that we are both language assistants. Its always the same lady working the cash and she and I just smile at each other and I go eat my fantastic lunch (which is the highlight of my day every day)

This particular day, the one that was really embarrasing, there was a different lady working the cash and apparently she was unaware of the "smile and i go eat my lunch" routine. Now, before I could explain anything, the lady working the cash told me that i was only allowed to take 3 items (they consider them desserts, but i consider them apple sauce, yogurt and fruit and not desserts) and I had taken 4.. (i was hungry and i dont get to eat again until 9pm and this is just awful in Mandy world) I explained that I was a language assistant and I didnt know about this rule.. and she asked me if i was in the system and i said "non" and then finally the normal cash lady came over and we smiled at each other and i went to eat my fantastic lunch.

that is not the embarrasing part.

We were explaining what had happended to another teacher and he had said that the younger students who are in grade 4-8 are only allowed to take 3 items. SO, it seems that this cash lady thought I was in grade 8. Im 25.

People normally think that I look younger than I am but not that young.. whenever I am out with my sisters, people usually think that at least 2 of them are older than me but really, im the oldest (and i may or may not be the shortest..)

I was so embarrased.

your franco, Mandy

No comments: