Saturday, June 7

Read

With Mands back writing on salutmaman I need to be more aware of the space I am using. Much like picking my socks up off the floor, which i rarely do anyways, I have had another look at the junk I've had in the column for the duration of my stay. I had a chat with myself the other day about this sort of thing and discovered, much to both our surprise, that it turned out to be a constructive conversation.

However, neither of us can remember what it was we said to myself so I cannot share with you what happened. Regardless, the book list has been moved to an undisclosed location that you can find on your own if you are motivated, knowledgeable on the location of my blogger profile or if, in the very unlikely case (which would trump any of the above circumstances), you care at all what I've read while being on the road.

what has happened, and something i am very excited about, is i've finally taken a bite out of my on deck reading list. I mentioned this a few days ago so i won't talk about it again. What did I miss, however, was the link to the young woman who traded me the book. She is writing her travel blog at letsgothere-italia. follow this link.

Used book shops are a new favourite place for me to browse through. I can hang out for hours, picking through the selection and people watching those people picking through the selection. The other day, however, I was in the shop on my way to work which I was likely late for, either that or just eager to sit and read over a coffee before getting to work, and I asked for a bit of help. I was looking for a particular author, Kundera, but couldn't find him because i didn't know his name; I only knew he had wrote Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I was holding a book by Alex Garland, author of The Beach which I had found quickly and quite by accident. But attendant Jane knew his name and where to find one and making a point to point out I "was really branching out with my authors." I smiled at her sarcasm while Dad's bit about sarcasm being the mer babbling of a diseased mind reverberated through mine.

"any suggestions?" I asked, knowing she would. Not just because she worked a book store but because she had read Lightness and thus I respected her opinion.
"have you read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance?" I hadn't but vaguely remembered at some point having told Dad that he should read it. "i think we even have one."

They did. So I put down Garland's novel, "Kundera is a better writer; at least in my opinion," and since I respect that I now have three books on the go.

Oh woe is me.

I am going to go read.

No comments: