Wednesday, May 28

Canadian provinces

Today, I taught a class on the provinces in Canada. You would think this would have been an easy task for someone with 2 degrees.

WRONG.

I was going along fine, telling them where the provinces and the capitals were and a little bit about each province... the limited amount of info that i know about my own country.. but then, I got to Manitoba/Winnipeg. Ever since i was 7 or whatever the age is that you start learning about the provinces in Canada, i have always confused Manitoba and Winnipeg... and even now, after teaching two lessons on it.. I am unclear as to which one is the province and which one is the capital. Good thing I had my cheat sheet in front of me.. now, the thing about the cheat sheet is that you have to have the right answers on it. Of course, the first time I taught the class, I had that Manitoba was the capital and Winnipeg was the province. That’s apparently not right. MANITOBA is the province and WINNIPEG is the capital.

Wow. My two degrees are coming in handy. Wow.

I also taught a class on the Canadian Government which I am now an expert on. Who is the governor general? Well, I’m really glad you asked that question. Especially since I know the answer. It’s Michaelle Jean. Duh. Didn’t you know?

Jenn taught a class on Saskatchewan. The where-its-at province.
How many lakes are there in Saskatchewan? Great question. There are 105 lakes in Saskatchewan? Don’t confuse that the number 105 with 106 or 104 because one would be too many and one would be too less.

There are a lot of things going on in Saskatchewan that I’m sure you are unaware of. And, if you ever get to sit down with Jenn, she’ll tell you all about them. I on the other hand have not been asked to do a class on Saskatchewan so I’m just as much in the dark about the great mystery that is Saskatchewan as you are.

Your francophone, Mandy

No comments: