Monday, May 26

Horse Racing (concours des chevaux)

Horse racing is apparently very big in France. Who knew?

On Saturday, I went with my host family to watch the horse races not far from Dijon. There were two different competitions going on and both were very interesting. I’ve never seen horse races before and certainly not in French and so it was a whole new experience for me. The announcer sounded like an auctioneer and I found this quite amusing (maron en francais) because auctioneers are usually hard to understand in English, let alone when they are speaking in French. It was quite drole. I knew that my friend Jacquie would have thoroughly enjoyed this day. Jacquie competitively rides horses. So, we saw two different competitions (concours en francais). One was the hurdles and the other was a course. The horses were apparently especially fast this year (so says my host dad) I obviously had no idea if this was true or not and wasn’t about to argue with him especially since he is a very strict no nonsense man. I met him for the first time on Friday night (I have been here since Monday) He works 70 hours a week and doesn’t work on the weekend so he’s apparently very busy. So, if he says that the horses are especially fast this year than I'm going to agree with him. We spent the day watching these massive animals being told what to do by the riders.

It was "assez impressionante"

your francophone, Mandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.