Friday, November 17

update

hello from france.
I realize I havent written in a while and that is partly because I havent really seen anything recently and partly because Im busy searching for jobs. Ha, you might be wondering why I would be searching for a job because in my last entry, as you may recall, Im pretty sure I said something about already having a job and starting it the next day. well, let me tell you something.

I arrived at my job early like a good little employee. The store is closed. apparently they dont even open the store until 10am (which is what time i was supposed to work at) the lady didnt even show up until 10:10am.. and apparently in france, its not uncommon to be late for work, in fact, its more common then uncommon. so, im waiting at the door and she asks me who i am (this is not the same person that hired me) and i said i was with swap and that i was supposed to talk work today and she said that the owner didnt tell her i was starting today but to come in and she will orientate me. and i said, ok. so, that was fine, im working and being orientated, which involved learning how to fold clothes properly and how to take items that are WAY overpriced out of their plastic and arrange them on a shelve. well, my 4 year honors degree really did prepare for this work. Im so glad im in debt so that i can work in a souvenir show unravelling this stupid items.

eventually, i realize that the girl who hired me has not given me this paper that i need to get my official working permit. i call her at home and she tells me that im not actually working there and that is why i never got my letter. well, let me tell you, I learned really fast how to get mad in french and i started arguing with her on the phone because I know she told me last week that she had actually hired me. she said that because she couldnt get a hold of the SWAP office so she decided not to hire me. as you can imagine, i was fuming and also trying not to cry. so, she paid me for what i had already worked, i packed up my stuff and left.

which brings me to present. there is more to the story but im going to let that be because its water under the bridge.. i am now looking for another job/friends/hostel/apartment. Im pretty excited about living in France right now. not.

No comments: