Wednesday, November 29

update

yesterday was a very busy day. i opened up a bank account. now, this was probably the hardest thing ive had to do here so far. it was SO complicated. I had to make sure I understood all the terms and conditions of this bank account that I was opening as well as understanding how to use the bank card. In France, they dont really have credit cards. Well, they do. But your interac card is also your credit card and im not sure how you distinguish between when you want to use your credit card and when you want to use your debit card. Hopefully, i figure it out... It was really complicated. The banker who was setting up the account for me had to keep repeating things and had to explain the process and the different sorts of cards to me a few times. It was really frusterating. Plus, he was talking SO fast that I had to get him to repeat even things I knew I understood but didnt quite get because he was talking so fast. So anyways, I opened the account and my balance is currently at 0. how sad.

I also went and got my working permit yesterday. Laundry mat Jeff and I went and it was JUST like sitting in a passport office so you can imagine how much fun it was. The wait wasnt as long because this was our first time we were getting this working permit (I guess you have to renew it or something??) so we were in the fast lane.

I handed in all my papers to my work (yeah, job!!) and I called her today and Im going there tomorrow to meet everyone. This has been a long process with this restaurant trying to actually start work. I thought I was going to be able to start 3 days ago but it takes a while to get your working permit and all the other things I had to do like open the bank account. Then, i had to hand in the paperwork to my work and now i have to go BACK to meet everyone. I dont think im actually working tomorrow but I actually didnt really understand what the girl said on the phone. So, in actual fact, tomorrow might be my first day of work and I dont even know. wow, what am i getting myself into.

I then came back to Dom's and we went out to the bar. The bars are great here. Happy Hour is like 4 hrs long and its very popular. We went to this Canadian bar called the Beaver and had cheap drinks (now, dont be fooled by the word cheap. In Paris, there is no such thing as cheap.. all cheap means is that now, the drinks are regularily priced drinks instead of crazy over priced drinks) so, we went there for some poutine and some drinks and then went to the OTHER Canadian bar. Tuesday nights ended up being ladies nights (lucky us) and drinks were "happy hour priced" all night. I took the metro home right before it shut down at 1am and two of the other girls stayed out till 7am. They are still sleeping now and its 4pm here.

Today, i went for my first Paris run. It was great. Its really nice out today so I thought I would try out my heart and see how long I could run for. I found this really nice park that Lindsay was telling me about right beside one of the Universities (there are 6, i think) and it was gorgeous. There is a big pond in the middle of the park and lots of stairs (good for the legs) and lots of different paths. It was great to actually be doing a physical activity and my heart survived.

Today is also going to be laundry day and boy, i cant wait to have clean clothes.

I found other things in my suitcase that I should have sent home with Leanne but I guess Ill just send it home with Paul (who is coming in 16 days.. and boy, i cant wait) We are going to travel a little bit in Germany and then hopefully go to Venice and Florence and then back to Paris for Christmas and then do a little bit of France inbetween Christmas and New Years and then be back in Paris for New Years and then do Paris after that. Paul, I already have a list of all the things I want to do.. I know you cant wait.

alright, so this update is pretty long.. so, im going to go. Im starting to actually settle a little bit (even though, i still dont have an apartment) and im finally starting to realize that I actually live in Paris. Its nuts.

a bientot,

your francophone.

No comments: